We are living during an amazing period of time with rapid change and global innovation. Human society is changing before our very eyes. The world I knew as a pre-internet child no longer exists and the world we are experiencing today will be unrecognizable in less than a decade.
This week at EntreArchitect Podcast I share my thoughts on 6 Technologies That Will Radically Change the Architecture Profession in Less Than 10 Years.
The next generation of technology is coming and it’s going to change the profession radically. Will you be there to take advantage of that opportunity as an early adapter? In the next 5-10 years, these technologies will be mainstream.
- 3D Printing // Design a 3D model of a building or parts of the building on the computer and print it out to see how it would look and work in real life. We’ll no longer be limited to the available parts and products, we’ll be able to 3D print whatever we want!
- Virtual Reality // VR 360 headsets to walk through models virtually. We’ll be able to walk clients through buildings, get decisions made more quickly and plan for lighting and emergency situations.
- Drones // Drones are soon to be introduced as consumer products that you can program to go do what you want it to do. They can be used for photography and videography, but also delivery of materials, marketing, various inspections, even flight-assembled architecture.
- Robots // Can be used to scan the room to create a 3D model of existing conditions, as a demolition crew, and any tasks like painting, excavating, masonry, framing, welding, cutting, and manufacturing in architecture and construction.
- Artificial Intelligence // Imagine computers that are intelligent enough to creatively design buildings. Instead of pre-programming tasks, the system will be able to train itself and improving.
- Cryptocurrency // Bitcoin and electronic currency may eventually be the norm in the future.
These things are coming, so let’s choose, as architects, to become the leaders of them. Machines and technologies will be our tools to change the way we do what we do. Change is inevitable and it’s coming quickly; we can either embrace it or reject it for others to seize.
Visit our Platform Sponsor
The easiest way to send invoices, manage expenses, and track your time.
Access Your 30-Day Free Trial at FreshBooks.com/architect (Enter EntreArchitect)
Photo Credit: Shutterstock / William Bradberry